Strange Floaties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mack65

Reaction score
I have a batch in secondary (Strong American Amber) right now and I was waiting for it to clear some more before I keg it. However, when looking at it just now I noticed some strange yellow floaties. It kind of looks like pollen.

I'm not sure the beer is contaminated, since I have surgical tech training and am a sanitation nazi. But, this is my 8th batch of beer and I've never noticed anything like this. I did smell the beer and it smells like good beer (with a bit of a sweet smell). So, I was wondering if the brewing Jedi here might know what this is.

IMAG0283.jpg

To me it looks like bits of hops. My last IPA looked like that in primary after I dry hopped with my pellets.

I'm not sure what it could be, but I do know this: during fermentation, all sorts of weird and nasty looking things appear. 99% of the time I'll shrug the stuff off as normal gunk. I think I'd only ever worry if the beer smelled or tasted off, or if there was an obvious mold or something. I bet your beer is fine. :mug:

Those are yeast rafts, totally normal. Search for it if you dont believe me.
Yellow things are hop particles Im sure.

Back