Strange fermenter activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiumah

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help me solve this mystery.

I have two 5 gallon plastic big mouth bubbler fermenters that are around 3 years old. They've probably seen around 15-20 batches each.

I normally brew 10 gallon batches with a few buddies, but over the past year I've been solo brewing 3 gallon batches. I noticed a couple of these, but not all, taking an abnormally long time to ferment, going by airlock activity. Like 3-4 weeks in primary. I didn't think much of it as the beer always finished at the target FG and tasted fine.

A few weeks ago, my buddies and I brewed our first batch since pre-covid (it was a glorious reunion). We did our typical 10 gallons and split it between the two fermenters.

As of today, one of the fermenters is still bubbling away at a regular interval of 20-30 seconds. The other has had no activity since day 4 of fermentation.

I checked the gravity in both and they're identical at 1.014. They also smell the same.

So I don't believe this airlock activity is a result of fermentation or contamination. The fermenters are together in a swamp cooler and held steady at ~68 degrees.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any thoughts on what could be causing this rogue airlock activity?

It’s been said here at least 100 times, but it bears repeating. Airlock activity is for entertainment purposes only.

The fermenter which isn’t showing any bubbles in the airlock is leaking C02 somewhere else. It doesn’t take much of a leak for the gas to bypass the airlock.

It’s been said here at least 100 times, but it bears repeating. Airlock activity is for entertainment purposes only.

The fermenter which isn’t showing any bubbles in the airlock is leaking C02 somewhere else. It doesn’t take much of a leak for the gas to bypass the airlock.

I don't think it's a co2 leak. I just switched the lids and the same one started bubbling again. Most of the fermenters are submerged in water.

I realize that airlock activity doesn't explicitly mean fermentation is happening. But I'm still curious to know what's causing it.

Back