Strange cider flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noiz2

Reaction score
I have a double that tasted very nice and about two months in the keg and it developed a very apple cider flavor. Not green apple and not nasty but it tastes like cider. I'm pretty sure I could submit it as one and nobody would think I was entering a beer.

Everything I have found on infections etc would have the apple showing up early, but this was served to a lot of people and it was fine, two months later and it's a cider bomb.

If it was sour or just stanky I would chalk it up to a sanitation issue but the cider part has me stumped. Well I'm sure it is a sanitation issue at some point but what turns a beer cidery and takes months to do it?

I have tasted the wet cardboard of oxidation and this is not like that at all. This is like a 1 year old cider, but more so.

Didn't seem darker, but maybe?

I will do another test because I switched taps, but it switched with a NEIPA, and back, so I doubt that was the issue. The NEIPA is fine.

As I said I have things I would chalk it up to if it was right off the bat but this cider over time thing has me puzzled.

I have no idea if it could be oxidation but wet cardboard doesn’t always show up when a beer is oxidized.

Back