Strainer Bag Sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mato23

Reaction score
So in my brew I am making a blueberry beer and added blueberries to the primary by putting them in a fine strainer bag. I left the bag in for the 5 days the beer was in the primary and just racked to the secondary. I took out the strainer bag, tossed the spent blueberries and tried to clean the bag, but some stain still remains. It looked pretty yellow so I tried washing it by hand a few times, then boiled it for 20 or so minutes and a lot of the color came out but its still not pure white anymore. Im just wondering if it would be safe to use again. I know it would be fine for pre-boil but what about for leaving in wort again? This is a relatively minor issue cause we are only talking about a few dollars but it is all the little things that add up quickly.

The only time I have ever seen a perfectly white bag is when it came out of the packaging the first time.

My buckets used to be white too.

Don;t sweat it.

Soak it in Oxy overnight to see if that helps, but as long as it is clean and sanitized you are good to go!

Thanks for timely replies, I figured it would be OK, just wanted to makes sure cause if the color of the bag has changed I would think something else is in the bag now.

Back