Strain wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptKaos

Reaction score
So I bought the funnel with the strainer in the bottom and used it to filter wort into my primary. I was amazed at the amount of stuff that clogged it. Do hop pelleys really expand that much? Both kits i used had bittering and finishing hops.

Someone told me to not strain my wort. Should I or shouldn't I. Should I leave the hops in the primary?

I have only done extract kits, one had a pound of grain to be steeped.

let your wort sit for a while so the hops and trub settle to the bottom,then siphon it into your fermenter. if you get a bit of hop/trub it's no big deal.

It's really a preference. I do personally. Some people don't. My logic is without straining you'll have more trub, thus less beer when transferring. It's probably negligible but like you said those hop pellets seem to expand quit a bit.

That trub isn't going to do much for you during fermentation. I've found that it may take the beer longer to clarify and settle with all that junk in it. It's not only hops (they do expand a lot), but essentially some gelatinous protein material that's run its useful course. Nothing harmful, just perhaps a nuisance.

let your wort sit for a while so the hops and trub settle to the bottom,then siphon it into your fermenter. if you get a bit of hop/trub it's no big deal.

Will there be no ill effects to allowing the wort to stand at hot temps while the trub settles? My first two kits said to pour the wort onto cold water in my primary. I thought the idea was to chill the wort as soon as possible after the hour boil.

I wonder if my auto siphon is rated for hot a$$ fluids.

Your first priority is to cool the wort. If you can top the wort up to 5 gallons to cool it off in one container, that will help separate some of those undesireables and they will settle to the bottom in about 10 minutes. Then, you can siphon the cooled wort into your fermenter to add the yeast.

Back