Strain Suggestion for low 70s Ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sardoman

Reaction score
I have capacity for only two fermentors in my temp-controlled space and I am fermenting lagers right now. In the meantime I want to ferment an ale this week but my apartment's ambient is 68F. I am asking you, the experts:

What strain should I use?

I assume the beer will be in the low to mid 70s (F) during fermentation due to the heat given off by the yeast. I'm considering a saison, but it's a little cool for that so maybe the yeast would not be too happy.

I looked at White labs and Wyeast websites, but I would prefer to hear from people with personal experience.

If you do make a Saison (or use the yeast) I would be careful about which Saison yeast you use. One of those is notorious for crapping out at around 1.030 and then only really kicking back in once you jack the temp up into the 80's.

I would think most Belgian yeasts will be OK in that range, e.g. WLP550.

The Wyeast Belgian Saison yeast is the one that people have trouble with. However, if you just give it time (3 months or so) it will finish up on it's own without a temperature increase.

Interesting. I have not tried a Belgian strain before. I don't care for the strong phenolics that many of them tend to emit, but I had a saison that a guy at the local homebrew club made with Wyeast 3724 (Belgian Saison) and it was very nice. Phenolics were there, but not overpowering. I don't know if that is the strain that wierdboy is warning me about. Anyone think a steam beer would work out at these temps?

Edit: Thanks Ace Club, you beat me to it!

I don't care for the strong phenolics that many of them tend to emit

The Rochefort strain is pretty mild on the usual Belgian ester/phenol profile, though it's not really the thing for a saison. It would probably be more to your liking than any of the other common Belgian strains (that is, as an alternative to a saison).

Wyeast also has their 3725 yeast out now through March. Check it out here, it looks like it might be perfect for you, if you do want to go the saison route:
http://www.wyeastlab.com/vssprogram.cfm

Back