strain/no strain??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgarri1

Reaction score
I am getting ready to start the Belgian WIt/Blue Moon clone...part of the boil is dried orange peels...should I strain these out as I pour into my fermenter or leave them in for flavor?

I strain for wit-- final 10 minutes of the boil should be enough. Are you using coriander too? If so, you should definitely strain.

Tommish said:
I strain for wit-- final 10 minutes of the boil should be enough. Are you using coriander too? If so, you should definitely strain.

I am using coriander...it came in a kit from Midwest so it is already ground up so I don't think it will strain out at all.

So I made the Blue Moon wort last night and poured it through a colander (sanitized of course) and, naturally,not only did the orange peels get blocked but so did all of the hop pellet residue from the boil...I freaked out a little and put about half of it back in the fermenter...does it matter? I would assume that the hop flavor has been imparted to the beer by the boil..does sitting on it while fermenting make any difference?

Most people try to transfer as little of the hops into the fermenter as possible. You'll be fine.

Back