Strain it or dump it all in??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strain the wort when transferring to the fermentation vessel or dump it all in??

• Strain it-I dont want that in my beer!!

• Dump it all in-it's beer!!

Results are only viewable after voting.

aksea102

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a question for those of you who are partial boiling, extract brewers (like myself). Ok, well anyone may reply :). When transferring the cooled wort to your primary fermentation vessel, do you strain out the hops and hot break or just dump it all in? I personally just dump it all in. As I was doing so yesterday afternoon, I became curious to know what the majority of extract brewers did (or used to do).
Thanks!

I dump it all in as well. I mostly do AG but even when I did extract and PM I dumped it all in. I was tripped out the first time (more worried about final volume issues than anything else) The brewing remnants are not harmful to the yeast and actually provide some additional nutrients. Just let leave it in the fermenter for 3 weeks or so. It will all settle out and the Yeast will clean up after themselves

Strain.
-It makes for a cleaner fermentation.
-Less wasted beer when you transfer to your secondary.
-If you're going to re-pitch onto the cake, you're starting out with mostly clean yeast and not a lot of mulch. (Trub-n-gunk)

If you put your grains in a grain bag/sock life will be simpler whether you strain or not.

I like to strain because it does an amazing job of aeration.

+1 to the aeration. I'm too lazy to shake my 6.5 gallon caroy for 5 mintues. I find I get plenty of aeration when I strain and then shake it for about a minute or two. That said, I used to not strain and never had a problem then either. You'll be fine either way.

I'm a "dump-it all in" kind of guy. I tried to strain but I had too many problems and only made messes. Now I add everything in the kettle.

I say strain it - at least once. You will then see how much of a PITA it can be, and if you are like me, you will find that it all settles to the bottom anyway. I think that I *may* consider straining if I plan to reuse my yeast cake for a subsequent brew that may have different hop profiles and such.

Otherwise just dump it all.
(In the fermenter that is)

Latest posts

Back