Stovetop small batch in a 10 gal kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vallonswayla

Reaction score
I am trying to do 3 gallon batches on my stovetop. Doing mash in a bag so kettle is only used for boiling. I have a 10 gallon kettle that is huge and feels inefficient to use for a smaller batch size. I can accommodate the kettle on my stove though. Any issues or just go for it?

It may take a while for your stove to heat the ~4 gal water needed if you're doing a full volume boil.

The other thing is that maybe you don't have connections for a wort chiller in your kitchen.

I've done 2 1/2 gallon Biab on my stove in a 8 gal pot. The 2 large burners have 2500w elements and had no trouble bringing 3 1/2 gallons to a boil pretty quickly.

Of course I was starting with 170* wort.

I use ice in a plastic storage tub to cool in about 20 min. Occasionally if I'm pressed for time I will cool to about 80-90 then put fermentor in the fridge and cool to pitching temp then add yeast.

Back