Stovetop Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbzdel

Reaction score
I wanted to try out a 2.5g BIAB batch on my stove top but then quickly realized that our stove vent does not actually vent to the outside, its just one of the recirculating vents, so it really just pumps the air though a couple filters and spits it back out. After boiling for an hour thats going to be pumping alot of wet air back into my house, or at least it seams that way, maybe these vents work better than I think?

Any input on these type of vents? Will it work? Or should I stay away from it?

i do 5 gal batches on my stove top and there is no vent to the outside. I open the living room window.

i haven't really encountered any problems, I'm sure you will be fine.

I've been brewing in my kitchen for a little over two years, never used my stove vent, and haven't had an issue. That said, the climate is pretty dry around here.

You will be fine. I made several stove top brews before I started all grain and everything was fine. Never used a vent at all. your over thinking it way too much.

My kitchen stove has the same setup. Useless contraption to say the least.

Your going to need a way to exhaust that air from the house or risk serious water and mould damage. In the summertime for me it's opening up windows to create a good cross breeze. It's a little humid while boiling but down to normal after about 15 minutes into the chill. From there my air conditioner takes care of the rest.

Currently (cold outside) I boil in the hallway between the kitchen and bathroom. The bathroom has a proper exhaust fan. Just cracking a window creates enough of a cross wind to take care of about half the steam. About a half hour after I end the boil it's back to normal. Small sacrifice to make. I tried running a dehumidifier instead of using a window for cross wind and it wasn't taking care of it fast enough for my liking.

Edit: I noticed after posting a number of ninja posts about don't worry about it. I suppose the best answer will be subjective based on how much your place is steaming up. I have a one floor condo and it is enough to turn my entire place into steam bath territory. Makes sense a less vigorous boil in a larger sq footage would not steam up as fast.

I just open my kitchen window. I don't have any kind of vent. If I gets too hot or steamy the fire escape door takes care of the rest.

This time of year it is probably not a problem unless it is very humid there. During the summer when the humidity is high it might add a lot of moisture in your kitchen, but then it is easy to open some windows.

Watch the condensation. I get some above the stove even with outside venting. You will be the one to judge whether you are getting too much moisture inside.

I had a problem with condensation building up on the vent above my stove. There was so much condensation it could drip back into my wort. I solved the problem by putting a box fan on a table next to the wort and blow the steam towards an opened window.

I also have a dehumidifier that I run during the winter when it's too cold to crack the windows.

I brew stovetop and usually I "take da side out of 'er" (local idiom for opening every window in the place). If I don't the whole house steams up. My range hood is like yours and running the fan doesn't appear to help at all.

In the winter I just open every window in the kitchen and put on a hoodie.

^ same thing--fan on the counter blowing the steam out the window. Get no condensation build up but without the fan all my windows are covered in moisture.

My last batch had my whole kitchen covered in condensation. I have no idea what those stupid fans are supposed to do. It was like a sauna in here. I should have done my brewing during the non-humid season, which happened one morning last week.

Back