Stouts...is it a good idea to bottle condition them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
I am going to brew a stout-BierMunchers stout, for a friend of mine in the next week or so. Is it a good idea to bottle condition the stout or should it be kegged? Is there a noticeable difference?

Just remember, that generally speaking the 3 weeks at 70 degrees that we recommend is only a guideline, a minimum...the higher the grav, the longer it takes to carb and condition. Don't forget, just because a beer is fizzy doesn't mean it is still not green, and tastes like a$$...

I've had stouts and porters take 4-6 weeks to carb...I have a 1.090 Belgian Strong Dark Ale that is 2.5 months in the bottle and it is barely beginning to carb up, I don't think it will even begin to stop tasting green and like rocket fuel for about another 2-3 months....

So whehter you choose to bottle or keg, just give it time.

Yes I do. Brewing a wheat beer tomorrow. :D

Well you get the added benefit of not having to wait as long for a wheat to be ready, since clearing it is not necessary, they are supposed to have yeast in suspension...so "technically" you could possibly be drinking you wheat the day you sit down to bottle your stout...or rack it to secondary...

Enjoy!!!

:mug:

Back