Stouts - Bottle priming vs kegged on beer gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mashuganabrew

Brewing... could anything be better?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
No question that my stouts taste a 1000% better on beer gas, but what is it that i'm detecting in the same beer that's bottle primed. The taste is completely different. The kegged version is creamy and the flavors are pronounced; it's amazing. The bottle primed version is subdued and hidden by something, that I want to call estery and pungent. Those words will mislead most, because they're both good, but the kegged version is so much better. Why?

Stout on beer gas rocks,

I also serve my Irish Red on Beer gas.

The creamy texture makes them so good,......

When you say "kegged on beer gas", do you mean nitogen/C02 mix? Because that is a way different bird than straight co2 and your palette will interpret them differently. Plus bottle conditioned is on yeast and has done more fermentation.

Taste could be several things in there. But stout on nitro is definitely a treat to me. I find the roastiness to be in better balance without the bite of co2. That roastiness can also present very differently on different yeasts with the same recipe.

I love brewing.

Back