Stout with odd numbers....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spittybug

Reaction score
I have a recipe for a Guinness clone that I have found to be pretty spot on and that I have brewed often. All grain, herms.

I just brewed it again and realized I didn't have any crushed barley on hand so I scrambled to find that pearled barley was a suitable substitute. I understand it has been dehusked and polished a bit compared to what I usually use. But, it is available in my local supermarket. It went through the mill with the rest of the grains. All went fine with brew day, mashed low and slow per usual to get a nice fermentable wort. The roasted stuff went in really late to give color and flavor without getting a chance to overly bitter it. While I didn't check it, my familiarity with my water and with a light grain mash has me add ~5ml of lactic acid to get the pH into the low 5 range for a 5 gallon batch. Yeast was Nottingham with a starter made.

Fermentation started ~18hrs after pitching and was pretty fast. Healthy quantity of sludge post fermentation. It basically went from 1.053 to 1.020 in 48 hours and absolutely flatlined. I left it there for a few days, no change. Thinking Tilt was crudded up, I took a sample and used hydrometer. When all was said and done, it was ~1.018. Should have gone down to ~1.008 so I was concerned my dry Irish stout was going to be sweet. I tasted. Not at all sweet. Tastes like it should. I'm in the process of carbing it up and putting on tap with a little added lactic for the characteristic Guinness twang. ABV has obviously taken a hit, but I drink by volume, not numbers!

While certainly a happy outcome, I'm very curious as to how a 1.018 beer tastes dry not sweet and why every other time I've done this beer (albeit with a difference in the crushed barley component) it has been ~10 points lower yet tastes essentially the same. Odd. Ideas? TIA.

As an aside, is there a rule of thumb for just how much difference mash temp makes to fermentability? Say going 145 vs. 155 = x points of gravity? I keep meaning to do some tests of my own but never get around to it.

I'm very curious as to how a 1.018 beer tastes dry not sweet

Yeah, there is a bit of a misconception about the link between FG and sweetness. It depends a lot on what drives the high final gravity. For example, I don't believe that the long chain dextrins left by a high mash temp will be perceived as sweet. On the other hand, an incomplete or low attenuating yeast can leave behind more sweetness. A spoon of table sugar is very sweet, but a spoon of lactose is barely sweet. I have been wanting to buy some maltodextrin just to taste it.

As an aside, is there a rule of thumb for just how much difference mash temp makes to fermentability? Say going 145 vs. 155 = x points of gravity? I keep meaning to do some tests of my own but never get around to it.

Kai Troester's site is the one that I tend to go to for mash information: Effects of mash parameters on fermentability and efficiency in single infusion mashing - German brewing and more

Great article. I like to see that kind of testing. I'm thinking maybe I was a little short on time, perhaps the herms temperature a bit high and perhaps the grind a bit course. If I 'erred' on all of them in the same direction, that could account for the difference this time around. Thanks.

I'm jinxed with this quickie batch... I got probably 1 ml too much lactic into the keg when I went to give it the Guinness 'twang' that I always do. It's a very fine line and I crossed it a bit. I don't have any potassium bicarbonate to neutralize it, but do have sodium bicarbonate. For the minor amount it should require, I can't believe the sodium will come through as salty, but I thought I'd check opinions. I'm going to go try it on a half pint's worth and see.

Ain't chemistry grand? 1g of baking soda into the 5 gallon keg to neutralize ~1 ml too much of acid seems to have done the trick with no discernable change to anything else flavor wise. I'm letting it 'settle' a bit and will re-taste when my palate gets back to normal, but initial results look very positive indeed.....

Back