Stout Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrowsNest

Reaction score
We brewed this stout last night, just looking for some ideas on what we could do to improve upon it. Also, what exactly will flaked wheat or flaked oats contribute to a beer like this?

I almost sprung for 0.5lbs chocolate malt and 0.5lbs chocolate wheat. Any ideas what this might have been like?

The Stout
13-E American Stout

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 73.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 180.73 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.054 (1.050 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.022)
Color: 46.07 (30.0 - 40.0)
Alcohol: 5.34% (5.0% - 7.0%)
Bitterness: 45.3 (35.0 - 75.0)

Ingredients:
8.0 lb American 2-row
2.0 lb Roasted Barley
1.0 lb American Chocolate Malt
0.5 lb Carapils®/Carafoam®
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 90.0 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
2.0 ea White Labs WLP013 London Ale

Because I'm like a wound up kid after we pump out a new brew and I make the false assumption that individuals on this forum will be able to look at this recipe and provide me with validation that this is going to be the best beer I've ever had. I realize that this won't happen, I guess I just want to share some new-brew excitement. :mug:

Any help with answers to this is hugely appreciated!
...what exactly will flaked wheat or flaked oats contribute to a beer like this?

I almost sprung for 0.5lbs chocolate malt and 0.5lbs chocolate wheat. Any ideas what this might have been like?

The wheat and oats will contribute some more body and fullness to the beer. The chocolate malt will give you more coffee/roasty/dark chocolate type flavors.

TheCrowsNest said:
We brewed this stout last night, just looking for some ideas on what we could do to improve upon it. Also, what exactly will flaked wheat or flaked oats contribute to a beer like this?

The Stout
13-E American Stout

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 73.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 180.73 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.054 (1.050 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.022)
Color: 46.07 (30.0 - 40.0)
Alcohol: 5.34% (5.0% - 7.0%)
Bitterness: 45.3 (35.0 - 75.0)

Ingredients:
8.0 lb American 2-row
2.0 lb Roasted Barley
1.0 lb American Chocolate Malt
0.5 lb Carapils®/Carafoam®
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 90.0 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
2.0 ea White Labs WLP013 London Ale

~20% roasted barley is A LOT. There may be some astringency, especially with that relatively lo OG. I think about 0.5lbs per 5 gal batch is just right.

P.S. Next time make a starter...you're wasting $ pitching 2 vials.

After 6 months of brewing I'm finally understanding the value of harvesting yeast. :)

Don't feel too badly. It took me almost 5 years to start doing it. I always figured it was another hassle I didn't need to introduce into my brewing. Now it seems like a no-brainer except for the cheaper dry yeasts. And I feel like some sort of yeast rancher, which I like.

~20% roasted barley is A LOT. There may be some astringency, especially with that relatively lo OG. I think about 0.5lbs per 5 gal batch is just right.

I was thinking that too. I was trying to figure out the % earlier in my head but gave up. Been getting up at 3 am all week and working long days. Math was not agreeing with me at the time. I thought it looked a little high percentage wise.

Started adding 10% flaked oats to my Wit and it made it..... I guess you could say creamier..... its hard to describe, it just made the final product better. I already use 50% wheat in my Wit and toned it down to 40% to add the 10% flaked oats. As Machine Shop Brewer stated above it really dose make a diferance to the body and mouth feel of the beer.

Sounds like a great stout. I might consider Doing a secondary over some cocoa and a vanilla bean, yumm. But, I kind of like that sort of thing. Makes a great winter warmer. I'm rather a noob, so I consider what the oldtimers post, then do what I feel is right for me. Hasn't failed me yet. If it does I learn something anyway. Good luck, and good drinking. Life's too short to drink cheap beer!:mug:

Back