Stout Recipe for Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrick

Reaction score
All-Grain Hoppy Stout

9 lbs. Marris Otter Malt
1 lb. Roasted Barley
1 lb. Crystal 80 Malt
3/4 lb. Chocolate Malt
1/4 lb. Black Patent Malt
1 oz. Simcoe Pellet Hops (60 Min)
1 oz. Cascade Pellet Hops (30 Min)
1 oz. Bullion Pellet Hops (Last 5 min of boil and 10 minute steep after flameout)
Irish Moss
Nottingham Dry Yeast

1 lb of roasted barley along with the 3/4 lb of chocolate and 1/4 lb of black patent seems like a bit much, IMO. that's 2 lbs of pretty heavily roasted grains, it might be a little too bitter. I might trade some of the roasted barley and chocolate malt for some lighter crystal, to add a bit of sweetness to balance the hops and roast grains.

again, that's all just my opinion though. I tend to favor sweet stouts so take that with a grain of salt.

Bitter/roasty is ok, I just don't really want a burnt quality to it from using too much of the black patent. The last one I did used a little less of the chocolate and was not all grain, I used an additional 3 lbs. of dark DME with steeping grains. It turned out too roasty tasting and has a burnt taste to it.

I agree with cutting back on the roasted grains. Maybe 1/2lb of the roast and 2oz of the black patent. I did that with 3/4lb chocolate in my oatmeal stout and the color was essentially black with noticable, but not overpowering roasted flavor.

Well I have the recipe as I posted it originally mashing right now. I am going for a hoppy roasty beer on this one so I might need to up my hop amounts to get what I want out of this one, maybe a dry hop. I am not much concerned with hitting style as much as getting a recipe that I like. If this also turns out to be too burnt tasting I will be dropping down the roast grain amounts on the next one. I just kept seeing a pound of roast barley in almost all the stout recipes I looked at online, I knew the black patent amounts I was seeing were too much for me, but I didn't think the roast and not black grains would impart that much burnt taste.

Perhaps you could start with a american barleywine recipe and add some dark roasty grains? Good idea *writes it down.* Black barleywine...

I usually use 1 lb of roasted barley but no black patent and chocolate. Also my 2 row grain bill is less than yours, 7lbs. It has a strong roast flavored. I use bradsuls recipe. It's a great dry stout recipe. I think there is also 2 lbs of flaked barley for body since the rest of the grain bill is light. Charlie

Back