Stout Recipe Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b1v1r

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm putting together a simple stout recipe I'd like some feedback on. What I am after is a low ABV fairly dry stout that has a thicker mouth feel and a nice balance. I like the roasted barley flavor, but want something that has the mouth feel of a sweet stout. The idea is a simple Pale Malt/Roasted Barley base with some malty crystal and dextrin for balance and mouthfeel.

5.5 Gal Batch:
7 lbs (78%) Maris Otter
1 lbs (11%) UK Roasted Barley (550 L)
3/4 lbs (8%) CaraMunich II (45 L)
1/4 lbs (3%) CaraPils

2oz Crystal 4.8 AA @60m (have some on hand I want to use).

Wyeast London Ale 1028 with starter fermented at 62-64F.

OG: 1.045
FG: 1.011
IBU: ~33
ABV: ~4.5%

Mash at 153F for 60m without Roasted Barley. Add Roasted Barley. Mash out at 170F 20m (steeping Roasted Barley). Fly sparge at 170F.

Cheers!

What you are aiming at sounds like a very good candidate for adding oats for body rather than crystal malt. I'd use a bit less roast barley and add half a pound of brown malt.

I didn't want to go with oats as I am not fond of oatmeal stouts.

I went ahead with this as-is. It just went into secondary to finish up before crash cooling and carbing. My initial thoughts are that it is not as roasted as what I was after, but the mouthfeel is quite nice. Mostly has a lighter coffee like flavor with slight cocoa notes. Next time I will replace the caramunich with flaked barley to hopefully let the roasted barley come through more. The Maris Otter has plenty of malt character already and this seems to be competing with the roasted barley.

This had slightly too much hops, but will see once carbed up. Probably the crystal has a bit too much floral character. I had never used it by itself before, but saw some references to using it in stouts, which surprised me. I had it on hand and was hoping for a subtle character with just a single 60m addition. I am a bit surprised the floral came through so much.

Just following up here.

It is now carbed up and quite tasty. Nothing fantastic, but very drinkable. Has a nice mouthfeel, but still lacking a bit of what I want. Has a black opaque look, but is really a deep red color and crystal clear. Head is tan with a nice thickness to it. This yeast gives a nice subtle fruit character. Still not sure about the hops, but not as floral as when uncarbed. The flavor is a strong mocha - bittersweet chocolate with espresso. Slight bitterness, but we'll balanced and not astringent. The roasted taste could come through more, so may add more roasted barley or black as suggested. And I will definitely replace the caramunich with flaked barley next time as I think that will help round out the mouthfeel. I do not think adding chocolate malt would be good as this would accentuate the chocolate flavors and even further hide the roasted flavor I am after.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers!

Back