Stout recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoshin

Shoshin Picobrewery
Reaction score
Greetings all, I'm wondering if anyone is willing to give me feedback on the following stout recipe. I'm going for toasty, roasty, a hint of chocolate, and some body.

Batch size: 10 gallons
Yeast: wlp001 yeast cake from 5 gallons of blonde ale, split between two carboys

Grain bill:

16# 2 row
2# oats
2# pale chocolate
1# roasted barley
1# C120

1.5oz CTZ (15.4%) @ 60 min
0.5oz CTZ @ 15 min

You can get a good toast flavour from Amber malt. Looks fairly solid with a good balance of chocolate malt and roast barley. Should be more flavourful than pure roast notes.

Awesome, thanks! The second "toasty" was supposed to be "roasty" #autoincorrect (edited OP)

Looks good to me. I'll add that Briess Extra Special Malt is also great for a toasty/roasty flavor too. Very reminiscent of a camp fire smell in some ways.

I use 0.5 lbs in my 5 gallon foreign extra stout. Blends nicely with the chocolate malt and roasted barley.

I think it looks good except for the 1 pound of C-120. I personally don't like the flavor of it and it's potent. If it's a flavor you enjoy then go for it. I'd either eliminate it or drop it to a half pound. I just can't imagine that raisiny caramel flavor working well with the roast and chocolate.

Thanks! I might cut it back to about .75 ... I want some c120 flavor but not overpowering. I don't have a 15gal pot yet so I'm thinking of doing this "high Gravity" style, with an initial 9gal boil, slightly higher hop additions to compensate (2 oz at 60 min to compensate) and topping off with sanitary water when I keg

I may be the minority, but I like C120 in darker ales. I used about the same proportion as your stout recipe in my Cascadian Dark (black IPA), and it gave a nice sweet contrast to the 75IBU of hops. That beer was gone faster than any batch I've made yet!

I brewed this today, slightly altered for 7 gallons (and my available grain):

7# 2row
7# Maris Otter
2# pale chocolate
1# oats
12oz roasted barley
8oz C120
2oz Carafa II (DH)

1oz CTZ 60 min
0.5oz CTZ 15 min

Pitched into the yeast cake (WLP001) of a blonde ale

Can't wait to see how it tastes!

WLP001 works surprisingly well in an American stout. Far exceeded my expositions.

Latest posts

Back