Stout Recipe - Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stldrum

Reaction score
I have made three batches of beer and my last Stout turned out horrid. I am in need of a recipe, something not as dry as a Guiness, but I want to use extracts and hops. I can do some grains but don't want to get into roasting and the like unless I need to. I'm a noob.

Suggestions? :drunk:

you can buy the specialty grains already roasted from most brew shops (chocolate malt, roasted barley, black barley, etc.) That's going to add the flavor that is characteristic of stouts (that roasted, bitter-ish taste.)

I'll leave an actual recipe to someone else, but don't fear grains. They will take you to a new level of brewing and give you infinite combinations that you can use to make a wide spectrum of beers.

-walker

Check out this Stout Thread . I had posted it a while back, and there are a number of stouts in there. I have one of them in the primary right now. Tasted good out of the pot, but it is going to be really strong (measured 1.090 OG) so I will be letting it age a little to mellow before I drink it.

The one I did was an extract with grains. I bought loose grains, and steeped them loose and sparged them. It was only my third batch ever, and the procedure was not bad- My execution left a little to be desired; Mental note when brewing stouts- boilovers are messy!!

I remember that thread - which one did you choose? Is it naturally a high OG or did you do something different i the process? Any suggestions that will help me avoid pitfalls you went through?

Thx

I did the first one- the link that walker posted. It was high because I added extra extract and grains, and then inadvertantly added an extra bag of DME- what should have come in at around 1.06ish came in at 1.090. I might have to dilute a little if it is too sweet, but it tasted good going in.

Some questions about that recipe:
How much water do you use for the grains that get put into the oven?
Do you sterilize the pan that goes into the oven?
Sterilize the strainer?
Is sparge water just regular water or with something added?
How much hops did you use at the beginning and at the end?

Thanks, I may take the plunge this weekend!!

read my immediate comment following that posted link to the recipe.

The grains used for that recipe don't need to be treated in such a complex way. They are roasted grains and contian no sugars (high kiln temps of the grain burn off the starches leaving nothing to be converted to sugar.)

Just put the grains in a bag, toss them in a couple gallons of water and slowly heat that to 155-ish degrees. Remove the grains and discard, increase heat to boil, add extract and bittering hops and start timing the boil.

-walker

That makes it much easier. What quantity of hops would you use 2-6 oz is quite a range.

This depends on how bitter you like your beer. 6 oz is a hell of a lot, in my opinion, so I'd shoot more for the low-to-mid area of that range... maybe 3 oz.

-walker

Would you split that up maybe 2.5 oz at the beginning of the boil and .5 oz at the end or all at the beginning?

again, it depends on what you want out of your hops. adding them at the beginning lends bitterness. Adding them in the mid-to-end ads flavor. Adding them at the end lends aroma.

I, personally, like hop bitterness in my stouts, with little-to-no hop flavoring, and no hop aroma. If that sounds good to you, then add 2.5 at beginning, and the other 0.5 at the 30 minute mark.

-walker

no problem... and good luck! if you don't like the way it turns out, hopefully you will have enough info to know how to tweak the recipe the next time and make it more to your liking.

-walker

stldrum said:
Some questions about that recipe:
How much water do you use for the grains that get put into the oven?
Do you sterilize the pan that goes into the oven?
Sterilize the strainer?
Is sparge water just regular water or with something added?
How much hops did you use at the beginning and at the end?

Thanks, I may take the plunge this weekend!!

1. I did just under 2.5 G, and then sparged with another G of 160*F water
2. Nope- Everything is getting boiled after
3. I sanitize my strainer when I am straining wort into the primary- for removing grain before the boil, I just make sure it is clean and free of particulate (the stuff stuck in the screen)
4. Sparge water, as I believe, is just heated water that you are using to rinse over the grains to maximize your sugar extraction
5. I added 5 oz 'cause I likes me some hops and I plan on aging it for a while, which will mellow the hopiness. I believe Walker posted after that you can reduce it- 2-3oz, and that would be more in line I think. I added the Fuggles right at boil time, and then 1.5 @ 30 minutes, and .5 at 15 minutes.

**All of my changes are my personal preferences and just plain fooling around. Walker's advice is sound. I have been increasing the hops in each of my batches to find where I like it.

Latest posts

Back