Stout recipe and possible changes...questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thechasm442

Reaction score
Hey all, I came up with a recipe for a stout that actually turned out pretty good, however I am altering it a bit to make a milk stout and I was looking for your input. Feel free to make it for yourself if you like.

1 lb roasted barley
1 lb chocolate malt
1/2 lb black malt
30 mins @ 155
LME
6 lbs dark
3.3 lbs amber
Bring to Boil
Hop Schedule
Cluster 1 oz 60 min
Nugget 1 oz 60 min
Centennial 1 oz 30 min
Cluster 1 oz 30 min
UK Kent Golding 1 oz 3 min
UK Challenger 1 oz 3 min

I also did a bourbon barrel version where I let 1 oz of oak chips soak in makers mark for 3 months. I added the chips, 2 whole star anise, and one vanilla bean for 23 days. In the original stout I added 1 vanilla bean for 23 days.

Both beers turned out really good, the bourbon one needs more time to age but is awesome. My question pertains to the original recipe. I am making a milk stout and was going to change a couple minor things. Instead of a lb of corn sugar I am using lactose sugar, I am switching the barley to roasted light barley, and using cascade hops instead of centennial.

Does that seem ok for a milk stout and does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

A pound of lactose will be very sweet in an extract batch. I would put .5 lb late in the boil. Ferment and taste. If you want more body and sweetness, make a simple syrup and add it in.

Latest posts

Back