Stout not carbing on gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosnhojm20

Reaction score
I've had this stout on 12psi for two weeks, and on 30psi for several days before that and still very little carbonation. Wtf?

This recipe is ridiculous and my own creation. In honor of Arrested Development coming back I made Bluth's Banana Stand. Cocoa powder, peanut butter powder, and a crap ton of bananas. It's surprisingly just okay (half serious half sarcasm). I was chalking up the zero head to the possibility that the powdered peanut butter had residual fats but that doesn't explain the lack of carbonation. I'm at a loss.

This is only my 4th corny so I'm still a noob, but the physics seem off.

38 ish (Johnson analog) and I can't find a leak. That's a good thought though. I suppose I could try switching the gas lines with another keg for a couple days. I'm force carbing another keg (Pliny the Elder) so it will be a few days before I can get 30 psi back on it.

Is there a lot of hop/banana/peanut butter powder chunks in the keg? I have had apple chunks pack my liquid pick-up tube, and when the cider passed through it, the CO2 came out of solution. You should try pulling the liquid pick-up tube and post, and clean them out.

fwiw, my stouts and porters always take longer to fully carbonate compared to my other brews. Don't know why, it just is...

Cheers!

The higher the final gravity, the longer it will take to carb. Normally, you never notice this due to most beers falling into a pretty tight range. But say you have an FG of 1.030 or higher, you'll notice it taking much longer.

When I make a keg of soda, in which the OG is the FG, I carbonate through the dip tube. Just hook up a liquid disconnect to the gas line and go for it. Really speeds things up.

All great suggestions. There shouldn't be anything in the keg as I secondaried it for several weeks and tries not to be pulling from the yeast cake but ya never know. The stout is blacker than my soul. I haven't put it back on 30psi gas. I'll keep everyone posted.

I think I broke physics/chemistry. Sat on 30psi for 4 days and no change to carbonation. I give up.

No, I haven't. Where it is in the keezer makes me nervous to do it, if it gets stuck it will be a real B to try to pull off. I am now thinking of bottling it, but we'll see.

Attaching a liquid disconnect to a gas line then onto the "out" would not make getting it on/off any harder than usual. Just FYI. I do this often.

So this keg has been on gas for nearly 4 weeks now, at least part of that at 30 psi, and still no joy?

You aren't trying to carb this stout up with beer gas, are you?

Cheers!

It's on regular co2. It is carbed, don't get me wrong. Just not nearly the same as the 3 other kegs. It isn't horrible, and may be on the ver low side for style actually.

you must have a leak somewhere, Id try to reseal the keg lid, remove it clean it, put it back on and crank it to 30psi. You could also spray some water and look for bubbles.

Do you hear the CO2 going into the keg when you turn the PSI up? Also this may sound ridiculous, but I have done more bone head moves... Is the little valve off the regulator turned on?

Back