Stout is good, but to hoppy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grossy

Reaction score
The stout is good, but it is just a little to hoppy.

I have 10 gallons of stout, it is kegged, chilled, and carbed. It has been in the kegerator now for 4 weeks.

Can I take the kegs out of the kegerator, bring them back up to 72 degrees and age it longer to mellow out the hops?

Will the yeast come back and do their thing, after being chilled and carbed?

My understanding is that it is not the yeast processing hop oils that causes hops to fade with age. The oils/aroma/flavor of hops just get weaker as they get older.

If you warm it back up and let it age it should become less hoppy eventually.

bassbone is right that yeast aren't responsible for hop mellowing, but any reaction will proceed more quickly at higher temps than lower. Of course, that goes for oxidation as well so maybe keeping it cold is a better choice? If you can stand dealing with the storage, I'd keep it cold. I bet it'll be more to your liking sooner than later.

Or do you have a homebrewing friend who will do some trading? That's my favorite way to get rid of (well brewed) beer that's not to my liking.

I think you should just learn to like it.. After a few gallons you may decide you like it after all. I'm usually very critical of my beers at first. It takes me a few before I start appreciating them.

Back