Stout help (balancing out bitter choclate)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
I made Yoopers oatmeal stout with a few tweaks.
I added 4 oz of cocoa nibs (sterilized in whiskey) to 4 gallons.

Getting ready to bottle and there is a dry chocolate flavor.
It is not bad, but the back end has a very bitter chocolate flavors.

Is there anything I can do with a week from bottling (air space issues) to add either a sweetness or balance the dry-bitter chocolate ?
IMG_2867.JPG
any suggestion is appreciated !

My stouts taste a lot different at bottling than they do a few months later with them becoming much smoother with the flavors melding. I'd just bottle and wait it out.

In the meantime I'd be making a nice wheat beer that will be ready to drink (as good as it gets) in about a week after bottling. That way you'll have beer to drink while the stout mellows out.

^This. Like a good stew seems better a day or two after making it, a stout is SOOOOO much better a few weeks or even 1-2 months after making.

You could add a few ounces of lactose at bottling/kegging, but as others have mentioned above, your beer will differ significantly and probably will be much better, once you have aged it for a few weeks.

Tasting a beer 1 week before bottling doesn't really give you an indication of what the final product will taste like. As it conditions in the bottles it will smooth out. I would leave it alone.

Back