stout gravity at 1.030 HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishwater

Reaction score
I used danstar yeast
pitched at 78 degrees
sg 1.042
fg 1.030
ferm temp 70
what the heck I can never get fg
HELP

Did you shake the crap out of it when you pitched the yeast? Missing FG is usually related to lack of O2 in your wort. I would shake it up really well and add 2 tsp of yeast nutrient. Let it sit another week.

stirring and shaking are different. You have to shake it vigorously for a few minutes. The best thing to do is when you transfer your wort into your ferment bucket, pour it from a few feet above the bucket. I try to pour mine about 3-4 feet above the ferment bucket. The splashing of the wort will aerate it. I pour mine slowly...it usually takes me about a minute or so to pour the five gallons. Try it next time I'm sure you will notice a difference.

How long has the beer been fermenting? Did you rehydrate the yeast with water? Check that your hydrometer if properly calibrated. Stirring isn't the best aeration method, but your yeasts shouldn't stop at 1.030 because of it.

6lbs dark lme
8oz rolled oats
4 oz
chocolate malt
4oz roasted barley
hops 1 oz glacier
munton pack hydrated
pitched at 78
fermented 20 days 70
help

Back