Stout Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperialipa

Reaction score
I have a Milk Chocolate Stout in week 4 of fermentation. 2 weeks in primary, 2 weeks in 2nd ary.

It has 2 more weeks to go so I was thinking of transferring to my Corny keg and hooking it up to CO2 and leaving it at room temp for the last 2 weeks of fermentation.

Anyone see any problems with this? Or should I refridgerate it while its fermenting/carbonating? I was thinking the low temp might slow down conditioning.

Curious about psi level. Read a few blogs and people recommended 5 psi. That sound about right? This will be my first AG brew and my first kegged brew.

What you can do is after secondary is put the beer in the keg with 5-10psi and leave it at fermenting temp. for another week or so. Kinda cask conditioned. I add priming sugar and bottle a few to put away for a year and then leave the keg to cask condition.

I carb beers warm all the time. Nothing better than having a keg already carbed and only needing to be chilled when another blows. The CO2 pressure depends on the temperature of the beer as well as the type of beer. If your carbing at room temperature you'll have to set the regulator pressure higher because the CO2 doesn't dissolve as easily in warm as cold liquids.

A useful chart...

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

That chart rocks! Perfect. Thanks guys. Bottling a few for a year huh... might be worth setting a few aside.

Back