Story about turning brewers yeast into multicellular organisms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it looks like two months for multicellular evolution, I'd give it another month before its cloning you in a pod. What I wanted to know was how the beer tasted to those scientists...

Good story, but the results are highly debated. It is not completely known whether yeast were once multicellular and their genome may have retained many of those genes in unexpressed loci. So it may just be that this sample, instead of evolving to have an entirely new function(multicellularity), actually just reverted back to an ancient phenotype by undergoing a few simple mutations.

Mutant yeast ... I wonder what properties it would provide for my brew.

Likely it would decide it likes the beer and drink it for you, then ask for a ride home...

Yeah, they still need to figure out whats going on, but I thought it was cool that they had cell specialization and juvenile stages. The juveniles are not allowed to convert sugar into alcohol....

Back