Storing wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BHebert

Reaction score
When wine is stored, can it be stood up like a beer bottle or does it have to be stored flat? I have always heard that it had to be stored flat so the cork wouldn't dry out. I'm getting ready to make some crates and need to know how to make them.

If using natural corks, you must keep the corks moist, since I lack any decent wine racks, I turn my bottles upside down and put them back in their case and place the cases on shelves.

I'm using synthetic corks and store them upright. So far, i've aged some wines/meads right at a year with no problems that I can tell.

Store horizontally with natural cork to keep them moist and airtight, not sure on the synthetics.

I'm wondering about light expsoure, would a few years of indirect light exposure be a problem? I have a bunch of Barolo bottles that were corked and waxed. I'd hate to have light exposure affect how it tastes a few years down the line. We have shades that let a little light in, and its near a north facing window so no direct sunlight.

Store horizontally with natural cork to keep them moist and airtight, not sure on the synthetics.

I'm wondering about light expsoure, would a few years of indirect light exposure be a problem? I have a bunch of Barolo bottles that were corked and waxed. I'd hate to have light exposure affect how it tastes a few years down the line. We have shades that let a little light in, and its near a north facing window so no direct sunlight.

Yes, light is a problem for wine that's why it's often stored in cellars where no light can penetrate. A small amount of indirect light may not show a great impact, though.

I keep my wines in the cellar, except for a few I bring up and keep on the 6 bottle wine rack in the dining room. There is no sunlight in there, but it's not dark either, and I haven't noticed any issue with storing them short-term before opening and serving.

Hmm, maybe I will move the wine rack then, or put something over them so most of the light is blocket out.

Thanks Yooper!

Back