Storing water filters in Star San?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDrinkRepeat

Reaction score
So, I have a water filter system for brewing, but I don't brew often enough to keep the filter installed in the cannister between brews. (Between available time and kegerator capacity I typically brew once every two months, sometimes three, and almost never more frequently than once a month.)

I normally remove it during cleanup, leave it on the kitchen counter for a few days to dry out, and then put it back in the cannister to wait for the next brewday.

I was thinking today: what if I toss it into my Star San at the end of the brewday, and then take it out and either store it in the cannister or in a Ziploc bag? Would that be better? Six-of-one-half-dozen-of-the-other? Does anyone do this already?

Star San has enough PA in it to dissolve certain plastics (it has a particular affinity for Delrin, and it really effed up the carboy cap I left overnight once).
I would definitely never leave anything (literally, anything) immersed in Star San long term save for glass...

Cheers!

Also don't know what kind of filter but assume it's activated carbon. So you don't want to leave it in contact with any reactive chemicals that might expend the filter's capacity while you're not even using it. If you're filtering water for brewing, there's no need to have any equipment or materials sanitized that are used before the boil. If you're worried about filtering dilution water to be added after the boil, filtration won't sanitize it anyway, you'll have to preboil and chill that water. Sounds like you already have a pretty good procedure in place.

I was mostly worried about stuff (mold, mildew, etc.) growing in the filter between uses.

Do you think it would hurt to dunk it in the Star San at the end of a brewday, but then dry it out before storage like I currently do?

Or am I just being paranoid? LOL...

I was mostly worried about stuff (mold, mildew, etc.) growing in the filter between uses.

Do you think it would hurt to dunk it in the Star San at the end of a brewday, but then dry it out before storage like I currently do?

Or am I just being paranoid? LOL...
If it's properly dried out then nothing can really grow on it. Without water there is no life.
Hard to say whether StarSan might damage it without knowing what type of filter.

Back