Storing Unused Beer Line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BykerBrewer

Reaction score
Hello HBT,

I would like to know how to properly store a beer line between kegs. I have 4 taps, sometimes one line will remain empty for 1-3 weeks before I have a beer ready. I have heard so many different people say to do different things after beer line cleaning (leave it packed with water, pack it with sanitizer, flush it with CO2 and leave it), that I'm left scratching my head. I was wondering if there was a reputable source saying to do it a certain way. I skimmed the DBQM17 in search of an answer, but didn't find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
:mug:

Get ready for the onslaught of "this is what I do".

I'll go first. This is what I do - I keep beer in the line.

If in some alternate universe that I did not have a keg ready to go and the line would stay void of beer, I would probably flush with sanitiser and leave it full until the next keg is ready. I would avoid water as it would likely just mold.

I keep beer in the line as well. When I hook up the next keg, eventually, I'm dumping the first pint to clear any additional settled yeast, so I flush the line of old beer, and clear the new keg all in one shot.

My tap gets the same treatment, at the same time, as my keg: run Oxyclean through, then water, then StarSan, then CO2.

I store my kegs with one gallon of sanitized water in them. When I blow a keg I hook up an empty keg, open the faucet, and run it until the water has flushed the system and the lines. Then I disconnect the keg and turn off the gas to that line.

If there's no beer in the line, it'll be stored with sanitizer in it until the next beer is ready.

Just be careful sanitizer is mixed close to correct ratio to water. Once I had some lines turn whitish and start to break down when I left them soaking in a too strong solution.

These days, my tap line always has beer in it. Anything else would constitute a crisis.

Hey all,

I appreciate the responses. However, I am really looking for a source (something from a book or reputable website) that says how it should be done/the research backed method/ the proper method. My homebrewing books do not cover it & my internet research has not proven fruitful. I thought for sure I'd find it in the most recent DBQM, but no. Again, appreciate the replies, but I am looking for more of a link or quote rather than, "this is what I do".

Cheers!

Good luck with that. It just doesn't seems like Master's Thesis material. And just because it is in a book, doesn't make it any better than Floppy's method. Floppy just hasn't written a book yet.

Hey Bleme,

Haha well I'm well aware that this is not master thesis material. That being said, its 2018 and craft beer is a HUGE industry. That information IS out there, I have absolutely zero doubt about that. As far as credibility of information goes, I think it is fair to say that information published in a homebrewing book has more value than information posted to a thread (I can at least look up the authors credentials in such case). Seeking credible information should always be high priority when seeking answers to your questions. Taking information at face value and accepting it as fact in effectively any situation is naive, this we all know. I am just seeking quality information is all :mug:
Thank you for your input!

Take the original How To Brew by Palmer for an example. It is probably the most relied upon book in the homebrew world. When it was first published, Palmer gave the best information he had but he has revised it three times now as he learned more and changed his mind about different things.

I think this is one of those things where there really isn't one best answer. I sanitize my lines as soon as the keg kicks. I keep doing it because I've never had any problems with that method. However, at a beerfest earlier this year one of my taps were accidentally taken home by another brewer. It was a month before I got it back, still filled with beer, and there was still no signs of growth of anything.

Wow. Interesting. I have been leaving mine packed with sanitizer as well and have not had an issues. Just wanted to know if there was some info out there. Thanks! I know its a "If its not broke, don't fix it" kinda thing, but I want to put my best possible beer out there & I know that requires taking the best possible care of my system.

After I’m done with my line, I flush with warm water, then warm pbw water, then warm water again. I then coil up and stick it in the fridge or where it will be ~34-37*. When I’m ready to use again, I flush with warm water, sanitizer and have at it.

Thoroughly clean, sanitize, and hang (drape) to dry. The key to storing is a dry line. Then coil and store until needed. When it's time to hook up, dump in star san for a couple of minutes. No need for all this fuss!

Back