Storing specialty grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patton191

Reaction score
I have searched and have found a few answers, but I was wondering if it is bad to store it in the fridge. I have two kits that came in packets from morebeer and am wondering whether or not to rip the package open and then put the malt in the fridge and the grains in room temperature, or to leave it all together in the fridge. I have had the whole kits in the fridge for about a week. Will this be detrimental? Should I take them out and put the malt in the fridge and the grains somewhere else?

Thanks again

Patton

I left my whole kit from B3 in the fridge for ~5 days before I brewed. I did let the extract come to room temp before I tried getting it out of that damn bag though.:D I think you'll be fine.

I'd put it in the fridge, but if it wasn't stored in the fridge at the LHBS, then what's the point? If it's LME you can put it in there, but you'll want to warm it up in a pot of hot water for a few minutes to soften it up. Some people do this anyway, to make it flow easier.

Well I should have mentioned I won't be brewing the kits for around a month or two.

Generally your extracts are fine out of fridge, but any cracked grains should be refrigerated, along with hops and yeast. Uncrushed grain will be ok too, but it certainly won't hurt anything to keep it all in there either.

I would think a month or two would be a bit long for cracked grain. They start to loose their goodness rather quickly after grinding. But in any case, and perhaps more important than putting them in the fridge, would be to make sure the malt grain is kept in an airtight container.

And be sure the yeast and hops are refrigerated.

Dennis

Back