Storing kits in the freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

optaka

Reaction score
I purchased a kit with steeping grains that I don't think I will be able to brew for a while. I know that it is recommended to store the yeast in the fridge and I have seen hops stored in a freezer before, but what about the grains (they have already been crushed)? Can I just stick the whole kit in the freezer or fridge, or should I separate things out to different places?

Depending on the kit sure, I wouldn't freeze LME, but cant see why not for everything else.

You should keep your hops in the freezer, yeast (in the fridge if liquid, in the freezer if dried) and LME or DME at room temp is fine. For your "cracked" specialty grains you can also keep them at room temp with your extract. Most malting companies suggest that you use crushed grain as soon as possible to maintain freshness, but if stored air tight it can be kept for up to 6 months. So as long as you plan to brewing before 6 months is up you will be fine. None of the companies we work with suggest using refrigeration for your grains. Cheers and happy brewing!

Back