storing ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lnb001

Reaction score
So I ordered 20 minute boil kits from Midwest and a brewing equipment kit from Morebeer. I had to cancel the equipment order cause I decided to hold off on the brewing until I had more time but it was too late to cancel the ingredient kits which came today. Should I store everything in the fridge until I am ready to brew? I have LME, DME, some hops, yeast, and priming sugar. Storage didn't occur to me cause I thought I would be brewing this week but sadly I won't be. Thanks.

-Lucas

So I ordered 20 minute boil kits from Midwest and a brewing equipment kit from Morebeer. I had to cancel the equipment order cause I decided to hold off on the brewing until I had more time but it was too late to cancel the ingredient kits which came today. Should I store everything in the fridge until I am ready to brew? I have LME, DME, some hops, yeast, and priming sugar. Storage didn't occur to me cause I thought I would be brewing this week but sadly I won't be. Thanks.

-Lucas

Extracts should be stored were it's cool (not necessarily cold) and dry.
Hops go in the freezer. Make sure they're sealed up to prevent frosting.
Yeast...if it's liquid, goes in the fridge. If it's dry, anywhere cool and dry is fine.
Priming sugar...again, just keep it dry.

ok sounds good. How long should everything keep? I might not be brewing until as late as May

how about open dme?

i only needed 1/2 lb of my 1 lb bag... currently i have it in the freezer, is this no good?

ok sounds good. How long should everything keep? I might not be brewing until as late as May

It should be fine if you store as described above and you don't have any broken seals.

how about open dme?

i only needed 1/2 lb of my 1 lb bag... currently i have it in the freezer, is this no good?

Seal it up in a glad bag or something similar and use it in the next month for a brew or for starters. No need to freeze if sealed.

Back