Storing hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SewerRanger

Reaction score
How long will hops stay good? I wasn't paying attention last time I was at the home brew store and I bought a couple of extra ounces of hops. Not a big deal but how long can I store them in my fridge?

Store them in your freezer for better results. There are some formulae out there on how the bittering power holds up in hops, but you just have to go with the smell test to see how the aroma holds up. If you can, vacuum pack them. If you cannot, put them in a ziploc baggie and get as much air out as you can.

Hops can stay good for a few to several months in the freezer in a ziploc bag. They can stay good for several months to a year or more if vacuum packed.

TL

they came in a vacuum pack so I should be good for a couple of months. I bought 3 oz not paying attention to the Alpah Acid %. I reworked my recipe when I got home and found I only needed 2.

Back