Storing hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to add an update to this thread ...

My hops arrived from Hops Direct earlier this week. Good vendor and they shipped about 1.25 lbs in each 1 lb. pkg. I used a few of the hops in today's brew and then sealed the rest in Mama's new Food Saver. We got a decent price on the unit from Costco. I broke the packages down to 4 oz. packets and put them in big Zip-Loc bags in the freezer. Pics attached show what the finished product looked like

We ordered the jar sealer from Amazon but didn't really need it today. The foodsaver allows you to use as much of the bag (on the roll) as you need and then seal it up at that point. This unit is a breeze to use and, once you get the hang of it, is a real game-changer when it comes to storing stuff for a long time without concern for spoilage. The whole system may be a tad spendy but I think most folks will get their money's worth out of the unit.

I left enough room to open it and use out of it a couple times before that bag was done. Then I bundled them into gallon size zip-lock bags to keep each variety together. They all went into the freezer in the garage for storage, I think they will get used up before they go bad! And, although the bags cost a bit, if you divide your packages up leaving enough room to reseal it once you've taken an ounce or two out, you acutally end up getting multiple uses out of each bag.

2 label.JPG

3 hops 2.JPG

I'll have to break down & get another food saver one of these days. Ours is caput. I'd love to order mass quantites of hops again,but from bulk dealers like hops direct,fresh hops,etc.

I'll have to break down & get another food saver one of these days. Ours is caput. I'd love to order mass quantites of hops again,but from bulk dealers like hops direct,fresh hops,etc.

It sure brings the cost down. I ordered a pound each of Willamette, UK Fuggle and Cascade and with shipping it ending up costing about 85 cents an ounce. Add the cost of the bags and I'm still at about half the cost of buying at the lhbs.

If you do like I've done you'll still need to pick up special hops from time to time. But for the varieties you use all the time you just go to the freezer and get what you need for about the next year.I

Yeah. I've been doing that with more than a pound of NZ hops with a couple other varieties since last July. Midwest just got NZ hops in & had'em on sale. So I bought a bunch to experiment with.
Next time,I'm going back to older favorites like EKG,Czech saaz,German hops & the like. Guess I'll have to narrow it down some...

I sent an email to the folks at Hops Direct asking them how they recommended we store our hops between uses. (Figured they ought to know.). Their answer? Evacuate as much air as possible and store them in the freezer. Looks like we're on the right track.

My hop order from hopsdirect also arrived recently. Bought 5 pounds and got almost an extra pound free. Can't beat that. Shipping is a little high but I'd certainly buy from them again. Bought a foodsaver and some jars. Will freeze the leftovers after a brewing session at the weekend

Back