Storing Grolsch bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shepstone

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new guy here I used to brew my own many years ago but gave it up as work got in the way! Anyhow I am getting back into it as I’m now semi retired. I scored on a couple cases on Grolsch beer bottles and have sanitized them and replaced the rubber seals, when storing the empties should the swing tops be clamped down or left open?

Keep the lid covering the hole so nothing gets in, but don’t clamp. The rubber will ‘set’ over time and not compress as much if at all the next time. Kind of gets stuck like that more or less. You need to replace the seals often. If you have batch sitting for a bit, a few months perhaps, it wouldn’t be bad to replace them for next time. For the same reason. I use swing tops for my meads.

I take the seals off mine and store shut. You can get some buildup around the male part of the ceramic cap. Taking off the seals makes it easier to hit the ceramic part with a brush. I use an extra toothbrush on the ceramic when cleaning. I toss the seals in a pot of water and boil and as they are cooling down you can get them back on pretty easy. The new ones loosen up over time and aren't so difficult to get back on and in that case you can hit them with Star San if you are worried about your fingers touching them.

Back