storing grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
So, yeah, I know the best way to store grain is in an airtight container to avoid moisture pickup and prevent critters from getting in there. But, as always in Zagreb, I'm having a hard time finding *exactly* what I need. In the States I had what amounted to gigantic tupperware. They were airtight plastic containers and the lids really snapped into place.

So far here, I see a lot of plastic containers. But the large ones seem to be more intended to store clothes rather than food. A few of them seem like decent candidates. But the lids don't really snap into place. The sort of sit on top but get a decent closure. But I don't know if I'd say that they're completely airtight.

Any thoughts? Think this is good enough? I'll probably be buying grain every 3 to 6 months and storing it for that long. It'll be whole grain. And it won't be bought from a homebrew shop, so won't likely be bagged like normal. I'll be buying straight from a brewer.

For the humidity I'd find some desicant packets. I bought a 6 pack of large ones on ebay for my tools in my damp basement. They can be baked to dry them out once they get damp, so you can reuse them.

I have my grain in double plastic bags inside my tupperware. If you can find weatherstripping for doors and windows you can seal the clothes bin tupperware. Just line the lid with foam weatherstripping and you should be good.

Back