Storing gear in attic, smart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILMSTMF

Reaction score
Have limited storage space for the big pieces of gear and considering storing some parts in the attic. Obviously gets way hot in summer which is more my concern than the cold winter. I have the bench capper and vinator stored inside of a large rubbermaid bin with lid. Safe? How about stainless items stored in same type of bin? 15 gallon kettle, SS wort chiller... I am not considering storing tubing, plastics, or perishables up there.
Thanks for your insight!

Your attic is supposed to be ventilated, along with a vapor barrier and insulation between the attic space and living areas. Attics tend to be dry, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that and the heat should never get beyond any point of destroying any other equipment.

I do a lot of work in attic spaces and have found temperatures above outside by 10 degrees celsius. I'd imagine it could get worse in a poorly ventilated attic (ridge vents, gable vents)

As long as it isn't raw materials or packaged beer you should be fine, even with most of the plastic gear.

Thanks very much! After posting this, I realized that (duh) the vinator itself is plastic. But if the consensus is that it's safe, I might just put the siphon, thief, and tubing up there too.
Can't say for sure what kind of ventilation but ridged sounds familiar. Plus a fan.
Anyway, the kettle is huge and may not fit in a bin. Bad idea to store it up there as is?
Thanks!

Wash and dry your equipment well just in case you do have a damp environment up there. It's doubtful but possible.

I wouldn't pack a bunch of equipment together as a precaution (buckets not packed together) give it air to dry.

Back