Storing full keg before use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicotineRush

Reaction score
Hello.
One keg is in the fridge with the gas on it. I need to keg another batch that's ready and I have room in the fridge for it but I want to leave the gas hooked to the first keg. How much pressure should I put on the keg I'm storing until the first keg is emptied and I can move the gas over to it?
Thanks

Hit the keg with 30psi to seal the lid, confirm you have no leaks, purge it a couple of times then hit it with 30psi one more time.

That's how I do it, and so far, it has worked fine.

Pick you up a plastic "T" at a hardware store and add another CO2 connector, then you can carb both.

Hit the keg with 30psi to seal the lid, confirm you have no leaks, purge it a couple of times then hit it with 30psi one more time.

That's how I do it, and so far, it has worked fine.

Pick you up a plastic "T" at a hardware store and add another CO2 connector, then you can carb both.

You probably should do this or pick up a manifold. A buddy of mine puts 30 psi on and shakes the hell out of it then chills it down to 40F.

Often he uses a party tapper and just pulls beers off it until its slows to the point that it needs gas. He'll put a quick charge of CO2 on it and hes back in business. He has about 25 kegs full of beer in several freezers and only has two fixed-faucet taps and the party tap. It gets to be musical movement of the party tap and gas lines, but with only 3 people drinking its no big deal.

Once the beer is cold and carbed it holds CO2 pretty good.

+1.

Or better yet...a two-way manifold so you can quick charge one keg while shutting off gas to the other.

!BTOJPcQ!mk~$(KGrHgoH-C8EjlLlh!lGBKHUld2fGQ~~_12.JPG

You might also consider priming the keg, that way it will be ready to go when needed.

Back