Storing fruit for winemaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pataka

Reaction score
There is a slight dilemma I will be faced with in the not-too-distant future, which I'd appreciate some advice on.

I'm both a winemaker and a brewer, and have made successful iterations of both. My trademark wine, to date, has been Loquat wine made from fruit grown on a large tree in my backyard. It's this tree that first got me into winemaking in the first place two years ago, when it produced a bumper crop that I couldn't let go to waste.

The issue is, over winter, I've been making a lot of beer, and paying particular attention to temperature control. Boy, what a difference it makes. Being in a climate where our winter temps are generally between 5 and 15 degrees, with a little assistance from my hot water cupboard, I've been able to attain a perfect temperature of between 16 and 18 degrees.

So I'd like to convert my chest freezer into a fermentation chamber, except that will leave me with nowhere to store the Loquat fruit I pick this summer to make wine out of. Two years ago, I picked about 14kg of the stuff, so there's just no way I can put that all in the inside freezer.

Question is, is there some other way of preserving fruit without freezing or cooking it? I did consider the idea of storing it under water in a vessel with minimal headspace and using K-meta solution to stabilise. But I'm not sure that would work. Right now I'm having to decide between making wine and making beer this summer.

Thoughts, anyone?

Maybe you could dry it. Not sure just how that would alter the flavor, but most fruit can easily be dried. You might also just look for a used freezer to buy so you can have your fermentation chamber & a freezer too.
Regards, GF.

You could steam extract it and can it, but probably change the flavor a bit, you could also do your wine in another way. As you gather the fruit just crush it and add it to an ongoing wine ferment and just skip the freezing them part. WVMJ

Back