Storing Force carbed kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatherdan

Reaction score
After force carving 5 gall Corny what is the best way to store it?

Summer is approaching and I'd hate to spoil any.

I've let a few kegs of uncarbed beer sit in my cold garage for about 3_weeks. Anyone see any issues with that?

Remember kegs are the BEST way to store beer. There's really no issues except maybe high temp.... they're protected from light, they co2 in there, and as long as you cleaned and sanitized them well, there really should be no worries. I've stored full, gassed kegs (even half drank kegs) in my basement for a year, and other than things like IPA's which the hops may have faded they were perfectly fine....some even got better.

And the thing with IPA, you can always re-"dry hop" with fresh hops in a hopsack when you hook the beer back up, or make a randall and run it through a bed of hops or do both.

Just carb them up (or just hit them with enough gas and carb later) and find a nice cool spot for them.

Do you need to keep them connected to the gas while storing? Or can you carb for a week, then disconnect and store?

Do you need to keep them connected to the gas while storing? Or can you carb for a week, then disconnect and store?

If I knew I wasn't going to be drinking it for a while, I'd go ahead and carb it up, then just store it like you would if it were a 12 pack of cans. Then, when you're ready to drink, all you should have to do is reconnect the gas and start pulling pints.

Thanks. That's kinda what I thought. I picked up another free fridge which can hold at least 6_kegs in which I can store and carb .

If I knew I wasn't going to be drinking it for a while, I'd go ahead and carb it up, then just store it like you would if it were a 12 pack of cans. Then, when you're ready to drink, all you should have to do is reconnect the gas and start pulling pints.

Yep.

Another thing you can do is "naturally" carb these kegs, just add priming sugar and forget about them. Or you can even if you want try "casking" a keg to "style" adding whatever the amount of sugar to achieve the right level of a certain style, adding CBC-1 cask and bottle conditioning yeast to it... leaving it warm for 3 weeks to carb up, then storing it cool (label the keg so you know what it is) then when you hook it up and chill it use just enough co2 to push the beer through your lines, then you'll have something close to like what you'd pull from a firken...

I did it once for my Kentucky common and it was pretty awesome. I'm going to do some English ales this way at some point.

Might be a good time to make a DIY beer engine...

This looks fun a mini one...

Back