Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron Engelbrecht

Reaction score
Hello! I am very new to home brewing. I recently bought dry yeast from northern brewer that is designed to be pitched in a five gallon batch. However, I am only brewing 1 gallon batches at the moment. Is there a way I can store the unused yeast after I open the package without contaminating it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Open dry yeast can be stored for only 2-3 days in the fridge. I would however recommend a vacuum sealer, to seal the yeast package for future use. I am not sure how well it will work, but I feel I've read about it somewhere.

I just fold the packet closed and clip a clothespin on it. It will keep for months that way. The recommendation to only store for 3-4 days is a nice way to get you to buy more yeast. I try to use mine within a couple months.
This.

I gaffa tape mine and put them in the fridge. Worked well even after months after opening.

Can't speak about storing an opened pack of yeast. The info posted above, I would trust. The posters have always seemed to share reliable info.

Also, welcome to HBT, from a fellow Missourian. Cheers.

Back when I was starting with Mr Beer kit barrels I bought new yeast and the LHBS guy said 1/4-1/3 of a packet is necessary for the volumes I was doing (2 gallons) .Dispense wat you need for the batch, fold the packet over and tape it shut. Dry yeast is fine until it gets activated,just keep it refrigerated ,dry and out of direct light.

OR

You could just sterilize a quart jar and pull some wort to it and make a starter for your next brew day.

Just like small packages of hops, I make smaller bags for the vacuum sealer, the slip the foil bag inside (don't fold the top). When you seal the bag it will keep moisture out and limit O2 ingress since it can only get in through the tightly pressed together opening of the original package. Then keep it in the fridge (hops in the deep freeze).

I keep mine in the original sachet, with the top folded over, then placed in small ziploc bags, and they last for months.

Latest posts

Back