Storing DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickrjason

Reaction score
who out there has a good container suggestion or a system for storing unused DME? I would like to buy in larger quantities rather then by the recipe, but i don't want to find a brick when i go to use it.

Mahalo

I store dme in vacuum sealed bags in the fridge. They always come out nice and dry. I buy a 10 pound bag and split it up into single pint yeast starter amounts and seal them up. I've had some for over a year and never had a brick.

I guess I am looking for more of a container bases answer.

Ziplock

Tupperware

Snaplock container. Etc

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I use gallon ziplock storage bags. They work well to store around 3lbs. When you seal the ziplock you can rinse the top of the zip if you got any DME stuck on the outside of the bag. I write on the front what it is and weight and then put them into a giant plastic bin with a lid that holds around 50lbs total.

I got over 300 LBS on the way so I am looking into this also. With my amount a freezer or fridge is out. I need a good container that is large and keeps air out.

I use a 58lb vittle vault for mine. It was a bit pricey but its airtight and I tossed a couple of brown sugar bears in to handle any moisture.

I buy in 55# quantities that are double bagged in plastic. I have had no problems with tightly resealing the bags with rubber bands and keeping them in the shipping box....no freezing or refrigeration. I've kept it dry for 6-8 months with no problem.

Problem with refrigeration is that it traps moisture that condenses and hardens the DME.

I bought #55 6 years ago. I repackaged it in vacuum sealed bags ranging in size of 1 -6 #. I then repackaged a couple in 100gram and 150 gram & 200 gram sealed bags a couple years ago and again this year.. I only had 1 brick,( a 100 gram) bag didn't seal well. I store it in the basement and use it for starters. I still have 6 pounds or so left.

I don't buy anymore than I'll need for a brew or 2. I just keep the sealed bags in a plastic shopping bag in the top of the pantry.

I use a 58lb vittle vault for mine. It was a bit pricey but its airtight and I tossed a couple of brown sugar bears in to handle any moisture.

Good to hear since I have a few Vittle Vaults that I currently use for my grain. Guess I just need some bears now.

I used to buy 50 lbs bags of extract. Now I'm AG. I used to use gallon zip lock bags to split up the extract. As someone already mentioned, 3 lb increments work well. Once you get all bagged up, use anything that seals up tight to store the bags in. I used a spare cooler to store mine and they kept nice and dry and brick free.

One suggestion though. When you split up the extract, do it outside or someplace easy to clean. That Shi$ generates a lot of dust and will make one heck of a mess if you aren't careful. I did my first bag in the kitchen, big mistake. I woke up the next day to an ant invasion. I had to scrub my kitchen from head to toe.

I use gallon ziplock storage bags. They work well to store around 3lbs. When you seal the ziplock you can rinse the top of the zip if you got any DME stuck on the outside of the bag. I write on the front what it is and weight and then put them into a giant plastic bin with a lid that holds around 50lbs total.

this is exactly the same thing i do and it works great.

I use those orange buckets from home depot. About 25 lbs fit into each. Have been brick-free for a year.

Those orange homer cheapo buckets are great at $5. I use it a lot. Good for so many brewing uses. A great value for sure!

I bought an airtight dog food container that holds 60lbs from Sam's. The 50lb bag of malt I get comes double bagged. Just throw the whole bag in and scoop out what I need on brew day and roll the bag up and close container. Works good.

I know that you've already made the purchase and that it's on its way or already arrived by now, but I'm with unionrdr on this -- let the brew shop worry about storage and I get what I need as I need it. I realize that I'm fortunate to have at least two LBHS's within a very short distance from my house and that their prices are great and that this won't work for everyone, but that's just me. And my two cents.

Same here,the LHBS is some 10-15 minutes up I90 in westlake. Prices are comparable to on line,so I go there when I can to save shipping costs. Even the DME's are English or domestic. Large choice of pellet or leaf hops & yeasts too.

Yea unfortunately for me the LHBS for me the guy running it has been a jerk both times I went in. So I won't be doing Business there anymore. The other option is 30 min drive for me. So I won't be running there for watch batch. I want to keep some on hand for starters anyway.

LOL!!! Well, heh- yeah, um, I guess I have a different take on "close" -- Both of the "nearby" LHBS's are a bit OVER 30 minutes away! oh well. I just thought of them as close, partly because I enjoy the beautiful drive(s), partly because I'm like a little kid going to the toy store, maybe a lot of other stuff in there for good measure as well. Who can say.

Also, one of the shops is owned by the guy who helped pioneer the reintroduction of hops to our area; we were formerly one of the best and largest hop-producing regions in the world from the early 1800's up until about 50 years ago. My father's father (my dad is turning 94 this year) owned a few hops farms to the south and also the east of where I live now. So, the LHBS guy's hops are really quite good and you can buy them whole or pelletized (he makes his own pellets) at very reasonable prices in any quantities you want. I like that, as well. His grains, extracts and even kits (and yeast!) are fresh. I support him and the others because we (I) need them to stay in business.

Yea I tried to support the local guy. Even gave him a second chance when he was a jerk the first time. But if you treat your customers like they are stupid, talk down to them and tell them they don't know anything. Well you loose business.

I wouldn't think of disagreeing with you at all, I hope I didn't come across that I was. The good news is, unless his business is deemed by Washington as "too big to fail," the market will eventually deal with him: Punish, or Reward. Looks like he gets the Big P (in more ways than one!:D). I hope that some good, healthy competition begins showing up in your neighborhood, and soon!

Back