Storing carboys and buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Do you guys clean your empty carboys , cover them and store em, or do you keep sanitizer in them when not in use? If you keep sanitizer , since I have no starsan ( gotta make a run) would putting a small amount of bleach then filling with water be acceptable as long as it is thoroughly rinsed out? Right now I wash and sanitize, then stuff the opening ( carboys) with paper towels...re sanitize before use. Buckets I clean and snap the lids on.

I clean them, and just store them, I stick them in my closet....I don't close them or anything...since i am going to be rinsing them out and then re-sanitizing on brew day.

I clean and sanitize everything when I am done with it and put it away. I don't cover or fill with anything. I always resanitize prior to use. So far to date no infections. I am not germ phobic, just cautious. My beer and wine has always been very drinkable and real good.

I clean them, and just store them, I stick them in my closet....I don't close them or anything...since i am going to be rinsing them out and then re-sanitizing on brew day.
ok basically what I am doing except I plug the openings.... I have two rooms upstairs that just cleared out so I have room for more "stuff". I NEED to get my Ag set up finished so I can make some more beer. I have a mash tun started......a keggle cut out but no valve yet...another big stainless pot drilled but no valve...a turkey fryer burner and tank....I need a wort chiller.

It really doesn't matter what you do for the most part as long as you clean them and sanitize them on brew day....within reason of cource, I mean you try not to scratch them, don;t store stuff in them, and don't use them as substitute toilets, and you'll be fine.

I clean and sanitize my carboys then let them dry upside down.

Once dry I place a paper towel in the opening also. This keeps any and all creatures and dust out.

Also, as the self-proclaimed #1 recommender of using milk crates for carboys, I set the carboys on their sides (in the crate). This way you can stack them...didn't think of that, did you? I usually go 4 high. ;)

I've never had one fall out, but am concerned it may happen someday. I'm trying (thinking) to come up with some bungie cord type elastic band to make sure the carboys don't fall out. :D

I set the carboys on their sides (in the crate). This way you can stack them...didn't think of that, did you? I usually go 4 high. ;)

Everyone doesn't do this? I bought mine in crates that fit them perfectly. It works very well.

+1 to the clean. sanitize, store sanitize, use.

I do cover when I store, I also store my bottles upside down.
I don't sanitize before I store, it seems a bit like taking a shower, going to bed, then taking another shower when you get up.

I do cover when I store, I also store my bottles upside down.
I don't sanitize before I store, it seems a bit like taking a shower, going to bed, then taking another shower when you get up.
So, you get into bed dirty? :mad:

As for storing buckets...always make sure they are dry first then put the lid IN PLACE...NOT PRESSED ON...then stack them that way. If you place one inside another they'll be scratched in no time.

I got the W.A.Y. single step no-rinse cleaner and have some mixed with water just sitting in the bottling bucket. Is this bad?

I wash out and clean with a alkaline cleaner, rinse than fill with a mild oxy-clean solution for how ever long I need to let them sit

On brew day during the cool down I drain, rinse and sanitize them for the brew

I got the W.A.Y. single step no-rinse cleaner and have some mixed with water just sitting in the bottling bucket. Is this bad?

I don't know the specific product (WAY Single Step), but leaving most ANYTHING in a plastic bucket long-term is a poor idea. Now rest assured, by long-term, I mean like weeks upon weeks. I leave diluted Star-San in my bottling bucket for a week at a time, but I always create a fresh batch on brew days, just to be safe.

And I alternate Star-San and Iodophor, just to keep the baddies at bay. But Iodophor gets the heave-ho after brew day, just because it stains the plastic.

I use glass carboys for most fermenting. I clean right after racking and then put a couple cups of star-san in there, swish it around and put a solid stopper in. Then on brew day I just take it to the carpeted living room right next to my beer room and swish the sanitizer around a little (I have carboy haulers or milk crates for each). It's less work than sanitizing twice.

I also have stored star-san in my 8 gallon bucket as well, but sounds like that might be a bad idea, so I'll just clean/sanitize/let dry.

Surprised to see so many who sanitize before storage. I guess my StarSan is too valuable to use it that often!

Usually I clean my primary with a very diluted OxyClean solution to get the krausen crud off the sides, and then wash it with unscented dish soap. It then gets stored with the rest of my equipment in a sealed rubbermaid tub (44-gallon I think).

And, yes, contrary to what most say I stack my primary inside the bottling bucket. I'm very careful when I do this however.

I sanitize them with starsan to rinse out whatever oxyclean I've missed in the regular rinse. Let the carboy dry then wrap some plastic wrap around the top to keep the dust out.

B

I clean my Better Bottles with Oxyclean and store them in the original boxes. Then I sanitize them right before they get used again.

I've never had one fall out, but am concerned it may happen someday. I'm trying (thinking) to come up with some bungie cord type elastic band to make sure the carboys don't fall out. :D

put the nozzles against the wall?

don;t store stuff in them, and don't use them as substitute toilets, and you'll be fine.

damn. thats hard! i mean i gotta pee everytime i get into the brew closets.

...it seems a bit like taking a shower, going to bed, then taking another shower when you get up.

So, you get into bed dirty? :mad:

As for storing buckets...always make sure they are dry first then put the lid IN PLACE...NOT PRESSED ON...then stack them that way. If you place one inside another they'll be scratched in no time.

i get in bed clean, exit dirty.

OT: i invert my ale pails over the carboy after both have been well rinsed and dried for space savings in the closet (kitchen pantry).

Back