Storing Bulk DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidbait

Reaction score
Does anyone store their bulk DME in plastic containers? Like something you would store your Christmas decorations in?

The bag that it comes in is a pain in the butt. Not sure if a plastic container would be air tight enough. Don't want to end up with a 50 lb. solid block.

Any ideas would be great.

I was afraid of humidity with rubbermaid containers. Homer buckets have a gasket in the lid. 1 bucket fits 25 lbs. Although I'm sure I'll regret that after a few batches and I need to clean the gasket. Although a hot water soak could work.

I get my bulk DME in boxes where it's double bagged. I just leave it in there until I need to weigh it out. Never had any humidity problems in 10+ years.

Even though I am 55 years old and a heart attack survivor (and a pretty big guy) I still pick up heavy weigh (like 50-100 lbs), but I will (still) recommend storing them on a dolly. I still carry 2 full cornies out to the garage without any problem. ;)

At any time I have up 2 to 4 - 55# boxes of DME on a dolly (supports 1200 lbs...Menard's, <$20.).

This way you can move the dolly from the storage place into the brew kitchen. A real back saver.

how long can you keep DME? Will it stay good for years as long as it doesnt get any moisture?

pretty sure it keeps for a damn long time. in theory, it should last several years. i don't see it lasting that long in practice though.

I suppose it's "by law", but my bulk DME boxes usually are god for 2 years.

With that said, I have used DME that was over 5 years old without any known problems. IMO, a lot depends on the storage (dry/damp) and lighting conditions. ;)

Back