Storing Bulk DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

berwick12

Reaction score
I'm looking into buying 50# of DME. What will be the best way to store it? Seeing how DME is hygroscopic the second I open that bag it don't want it to turn to stone.

Any Ideas?

Kungpaodog

Reaction score
I'd think you would want to first put it into some smaller containers, ziplocks or tupperware, so that you only expose a few pounds at a time when you open each one. Probably double bag 'em. Maybe some of those silica gel desicant packages would help, if you can find them. I know we've used them at work for a very different application, so it is possible to buy them.

Edcculus

Reaction score
I use ziplock too. I buy 5 lb bags and put them into a big ziplock. It gets stored in the closet with all my other brewing gear. Unless you live in VERY humid parts, I dont see it being a problem. Mine survived through a few South Carolina summers without becoming a brick.

bad coffee

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
A gallon zip lock is just over 4# of DME. I double bag 11 bags and then double bag the rest as 6oz packs for starters.

B

loganweaver

Reaction score
I used a Foodsaver vacuum sealer to split into 3, 2 and 1 pound bags. It was a complete pain. The DME is so fine it would clog the channels in the specialty bags. I spent hours fighting the super fine sugar sticking to everything and clogging the vacuum sealer. I almost ran out of beer before I was able to seal up 50 pounds of malt. But I am a determined sort and I muscled thru. I put all of the individual bags in a plastic storage container with a tight fitting lid. Next time around I will go with zip lock bags, vacuum sealer was overkill.