Storing Brew in Corny Kegs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellowToad

Reaction score
Hey folks, I've recently come across 10 cornies from a home brewer that was going out of business. They all work and I am wondering the following:

If I brew a batch of beer (let's say an American Pale Ale at 4.5% ABV, 40IBUs), ferment all the way out and carb it, then leave it in my cellar at a constant temp of about 60 degrees, is it possible to estimate how long it will take before the flavor starts to degrade?

I plan on brewing 5 gallons every two weeks and would like to get a stockpile of kegs full of beer for parties and different events, as well as having replacements on hand for when one of my four kegs in my kegerator spurts its last drop of golden yummy.

Beers with higher levels of hop aromas, flavors, and bitterness do not age well. I'd store those style no longer than 6 months and that is pushing it.

Higher gravity ales with low hop aroma and flavor are sometimes not at their best unless they've aged 6 months or more.

There's the general guide from my 2 cent wallet.

Not a kegging expert here, but I think the answer you'll get is something like "it'll last exactly as long as it would in bottles that have been kept out of the light".

If you keep it under pressure the whole time, the only thing you should lose is hop aroma and flavor. Beers at room temperature age/condition faster than beers at serving temps. If you could keep them cooler, they will last longer.

Back