Storing bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telemarc

Reaction score
I know to keep my bottled beers at 70 degrees or so to carb them up, but for how long should they be kept at 70? It seems like I should move them to a cooler location (60 F) after about three weeks or so. Any thoughts?

I leave mine in a canning closet, then move em to the fridge say the morning i want to drink em.
first 2 i tried were carbed in 6 days, but had a sour taste to em.
the next weekend i put a sixer in the fridge, drank the next night and they were very good, same amount of carb, but better flavor.

drank all but the last sixer this weekend, still no diff in carb from day 6, but flavor a tiny fraction better than @ 2 weeks. i dont think these are going to get any better, and they are not going to last anyway :)

I store mine at a temp of about 65 degrees and they seem to be good to go around 7-10 days. Normally if I open up a six pack on day 7 I’ll have a couple that seem a little flat or watered down, but by day 10 all of them are good to go.

A while after mine are carbed up, I move them to a cooler place. I happen to have a cellar, but I don't really age them very long. I think they'd be fine at 70 degrees if it's convenient for you to keep them there- I just have a lot more room in my wine cellar for storing the beer.

Beer ages faster at a warmer temperature, so when they are perfect is when I'd move them. At cellar temperatures, the aging/conditioning process is slowed so the beer might be at its peak longer in a cooler place. As I said, though, I don't age mine. I drink it way too fast for it to start to deteriorate!

Beer ages faster at a warmer temperature, so when they are perfect is when I'd move them. At cellar temperatures, the aging/conditioning process is slowed so the beer might be at its peak longer in a cooler place. As I said, though, I don't age mine. I drink it way too fast for it to start to deteriorate!

good info, had never heard that!

i have a much cooler place to long term store mine after carbing, guess i had better start!

although, LONG TERM storing of beer? more likely ill store it in my beer belly.

Back