Storing Beer In Soda Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bconsidi

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows how well beer stays in a 2L soda bottle. I have been filling bottles and carbonating them, however I seem to drink them within a day or two of bottling. Does anyone know how long I can keep them? Is it comparable to a glass bottle? Thanks

I was wondering if anyone knows how well beer stays in a 2L soda bottle. I have been filling bottles and carbonating them, however I seem to drink them within a day or two of bottling. Does anyone know how long I can keep them? Is it comparable to a glass bottle? Thanks

I'm sure it will stay indefinitely ala glass. They do sell the plastic bottles with screw tops at brew shops that are similar, if not essentially the same as a 2L pop bottle and those keep just fine.

My ex room mate would use them. They work great if you plan on drinking it all the same night. It also helps you to know how the carbonation process if going because you can squeeze them and "feel" the carbonation.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4537

look at that...u can force carbonate the beer in the soda bottles :)

Ya I have one. It was given to me for my birthday. I have never tried it. I spend most of my days trying to fill my kegs, and most of my nights emptying them. I just cant win. I did notice that the post is fairly soft plastic and the bev connect would eat it up pretty quick. Plus you need one for every 2 ltr you fill. Now that I have aluminum bottles for the lake probably never will try it.

I've done a few, back in the early days, and they do seem to go a bit 'flat' after a few months, though the bottles are still pretty hard when 'tested' by squeezing. I personally have decided not to put anything in plastic for long-term, but it's fine for short term stuff I expect to drink reasonably soon.

For reference, I'd bottled some beer last May to leave at my BiLs' house (they're serious about no glass at pool, despite the absence of kids), and the few that survived the summer were a bit flat come December--so 6 months is a longer than my bottling skills and plastic are capable of. You may fare better.

You don't need a Carbonator for each bottle. You carbonate a bottle & chill it; then swap out to a standard cap. The Carbonator is also good for re-pressurizing a partial bottle, if you ever have on.:cross:

I use 2l soda bottles for transporting kegged beer to parties/picnics and the like, and for short-term storage in the upstairs fridge. I fill the bottle, put a carbonator cap on, and pressurize. It will keep for weeks under pressure, and for a day or two once you start serving from the bottle.

My carb cap is holding up just fine -- no damage from the gas connector.

Back