Storing and Serving CO2 carbonated beer using Beergas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcgrafx

Reaction score
I'm building a tower system for my Dad and I started thinking on how to build a system that could serve CO2 and Nitro Pours. I've personally got both Nitrogen and CO2 tank in my setup and have done some testing.

I took my CO2 carbonated beer and disconnected the gas line. Released the CO2 pressure in the keg. Lowered my nitro regulator to CO2 serving pressure and connected to the keg. The pour came out just like it was served on CO2 as I expected.

Since my Dad doesn't need to worry about carbonating the beer.. it made me think that I should just set him up with a Nitro setup with dual regulator so he has the option to serve one on nitro when he wants to.

Anyone ever done this or heard of someone doing this?

Should I be concerned with the CO2 slowly come out of suspension as it sits on beer gas instead of CO2?

Any other Concerns i'm overlooking?

Storing regular beer (as opposed to nitro beers) on beer gas, or pure N2, will cause the beer to lose carbonation over time. In order to maintain a steady carbonation level, the CO2 partial pressure (the fraction of the headspace pressure due to the presence of CO2) must be the same as the equilibrium CO2 partial pressure for the current carbonation level of the beer. Even if you don't vent the CO2 from the headspace prior to hooking up the N2 or beer gas, the CO2 partial pressure in the headspace will drop as beer is served and the headspace volume increases, so carb level will drop over time. If you served the keg in under a week, the carb loss might be tolerable, but after a couple of weeks the carb loss will be quite noticeable.

Brew on :mug:

Back