Storing, and Organizing brewing and kegging parts/equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matridium

Reaction score
I'm getting back into brewing after a many year hiatus. In the last year I've downsized from all grain, and 5 gallon brewing to partial mash BIAB 2.5 gallon batches. I'm focused more on quality, science, expermentation, microscopy and quality control over quantity.
I've been going back and forth on how to store their equipment. I'm find now that I've gotten back into brewing I'm forgetting what I did with stuff (too much beer drinking or just getting older?)

My issue is keeping track of all of the smaller parts for kegs since most of my fermentation is done in custom made lid adaptations to anchor hocking 2.5 gallon jars with ball lock fittings I have lots of parts to organize and keep track of.
Also most of my brewing ends up in bottles from keg transfers with a beer gun, but some stays in kegs. Most of my larger equipment is stored in plastic bins. But I'm looking to adapt to a more organized way of keeping track of everything. I'm an overly DISorganized person, this is an opportunity to help me organize.
What do you guys do to organize, keep track of smaller parts, and larger equipment?

What equipment I have if its not assembled ...I keep in a storage tub. Spare air-locks, plastic valves, carboy bungs, tubing, pieces of CPVC and fittings, and a burlap bag (Werkforce brewing AG kit packaging) with all my assorted colored bottle caps. If small parts that might scatter easily ,I keep in small "tupperware" containers.
I keep hose clamps in the small storage portion in the lid of my mash tun .

Make a point to change your habit . Thats all it is.

I keep stuff organized in plastic storage bins. Small parts get organized in ziplock bags inside one of the bins.

I used to just keep the bins stacked on top of each other, but it was a hassle to remove the top bins to get to one that was in the middle or on the bottom, so I made a bin rack.

I'm sure this seems like a lot of effort to some, but it has paid off in spades. It sure is nice to be able to quickly grab something without hassle.

IMG_20180127_164722_107.jpg
IMG_20180127_171104_718.jpg
IMG_20180129_172755_120.jpg

I keep stuff organized in plastic storage bins. Small parts get organized in ziplock bags inside one of the bins.

I used to just keep the bins stacked on top of each other, but it was a hassle to remove the top bins to get to one that was in the middle or on the bottom, so I made a bin rack.

I'm sure this seems like a lot of effort to some, but it has paid off in spades. It sure is nice to be able to quickly grab something without hassle.

View attachment 640338 View attachment 640339 View attachment 640340
That is a sweet setup!
Easy enough to build too.
I saw a nice rolling tool cabinet with a maple top at Sam's club. I think it was closet to $400.00 at my store. While it's a nice cabinet on wheels with a great work top and lots of storage underneath I would not be able to justify it at all. On the other hand what you made probably cost under 100$ I'm sure. I have lots of spare lumber too. I think I might steal your idea with some modifications to fit my needs Thanks for sharing

What equipment I have if its not assembled ...I keep in a storage tub. Spare air-locks, plastic valves, carboy bungs, tubing, pieces of CPVC and fittings, and a burlap bag (Werkforce brewing AG kit packaging) with all my assorted colored bottle caps. If small parts that might scatter easily ,I keep in small "tupperware" containers.
I keep hose clamps in the small storage portion in the lid of my mash tun .

Make a point to change your habit . Thats all it is.
I'm kind of in the same boat but I find that zip lock bags are my weakness. I use them for everything. So if I don't label them or put them in a bin with a label I totally forget. I end up buying new parts when I can't find something I put in a bag, then when I find it weeks later I kick myself. I think your right Changing my behavior is key. It's hard to break old habits.. 45 years of making the same mistakes is hard to reverse... LOL

...what you made probably cost under 100$...

It was probably closer to $50. 1x4's are cheap, especially if you find them at a building materials salvage place like I did. I had plywood scraps to use for the base and top, and I had some polycrylic finish left over from another project.

... I think I might steal your idea with some modifications to fit my needs Thanks for sharing...

Here's the drawings. The second page shows that 10 eight foot 1x4's are needed. I got the plastic bins at WalMart.

Attachments

• Storage Bin Cabinet Page1.pdf
    39.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Storage Bin Cabinet Page2.pdf
    9 KB · Views: 19
I use a combination of products for my organization.

I have a toolbox with 4 drawers that I use for my most needed kegging equipment. This is also what I take when I serve on my jockey boxes since it has all my spares and tools that I need.

I have numerous baker's racks for big and heavy items: kegs, canned wort, buckets, etc. I also like to use the wires to hang stuff off of as well.

I also use a wall mounted bin system with varying sizes to hold other equipment like regulators, sankey couplers, airlocks, brewing salts, etc.

For the smaller items, I have two of those akro mills 18x20 storage bins with the small and medium size bins. I put my spare camlocks, 1/2" NPT fittings, 1/4" NPT fittings, etc.

I can post some pictures if you think it would help!

That is a sweet setup!
Easy enough to build too.
I saw a nice rolling tool cabinet with a maple top at Sam's club. I think it was closet to $400.00 at my store.

I found a 52” toolbox for $200 at Home Depot, that was a steal, I’ve seen it at that price a couple of times. Just have to keep your eyes open.

Attachments

• IMG_20190615_190908.jpg
    IMG_20190615_190908.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 56
I use a combination of products for my organization.

I have a toolbox with 4 drawers that I use for my most needed kegging equipment. This is also what I take when I serve on my jockey boxes since it has all my spares and tools that I need.

I have numerous baker's racks for big and heavy items: kegs, canned wort, buckets, etc. I also like to use the wires to hang stuff off of as well.

I also use a wall mounted bin system with varying sizes to hold other equipment like regulators, sankey couplers, airlocks, brewing salts, etc.

For the smaller items, I have two of those akro mills 18x20 storage bins with the small and medium size bins. I put my spare camlocks, 1/2" NPT fittings, 1/4" NPT fittings, etc.

I can post some pictures if you think it would help!
Now that sounds like you have a very complex well thought out system. Yeah I would live to see pics. Any idea is welcome. I currently have an old book shelf with glass doors with most stuff in ziplock bags. I do have one plastic bin with some bigger items. I'm looking for a unifying system.

I found a 52” toolbox for $200 at Home Depot, that was a steal, I’ve seen it at that price a couple of times. Just have to keep your eyes open.
I'm looking at carving out a spot in the basement like you have. That tool box looks nice!

Thanks, I like it, it's the beginning of my brewery build in one end of my 12x20 attached garage.

Back