Storing 12oz bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwic

Reaction score
So, I've been asking friends to save me beer bottles and I have six+ cases worth of bottles. Problem is that they didn't have the cases the bottles originally came in or the cardboard cases were too torn up to reuse.

Do people have a line on empty cardboard beer cases?

Or, alternately, let me also ask how people store their bottles?

Cheers,
JWiC

Screw cardboard...

181316_10150091021744067_620469066_6196013_3815685_n.jpg

They hold 1 case of beer in half the footprint of a beercase AND you can stack them as high as you dare.

Nice! I was thinking milk crate but I hesitated because they are not light-proof (I have absolutely NO area in my flat which is 100% dark, 100% of the time). Maybe I'll improvise and come up with some way to use milk crates but still block light.

Thanks!

Ha! That is uncanny that a file drawer fits the six packs so nicely. Another great idea!

THOSE ARE AWESOME!

Can you tell me how much they weigh empty?

Check to see if any liquor stores around you save boxes. I've gotten beer boxes from BevMo, and Costco usually has stuff that'll work well enough

I work at a bar in River North. I always take home the empty bottles and cases. Just ask the bartenders at your local hood bar to save them for you. Most will be cool with it. If you're near River North I can hook you up with some.

Thanks! I really appreciate it!

I live near Western and Armitage so I have Floyd's and a couple other places I will try to hit up for bottles and/or cases first. If I strike out, I may take you up on your offer!

Cheers!

Sorry, I can't weigh them right now, as I'm away from home.
My best guess? 4.623438974 lbs per box. You should know that I've been drinking St. Arnold's Elissa IPA all night, so I I'm not a reliable source if this information is critical. :drunk: I CAN tell you that I'm a damn fine guesser. :)
I built those for long term beer storage. Cardboard boxes are superior for short term consumption because they're easier to get.

Kirk

Try hitting up Map Room too if it's not too far. We all know they go through tons of beer there. Also right across the street from there is a place called Cleo's. If you go there ask for Eddy. He is the manager and he will definitely do it. Tell him Niilo sent you.

I use the Walmart file crates with round holes (all the same size). They can be had as little as $3 on sale...

I store empties upside down in milk crates and conditioned bottles in a file cabinet.

I use 10 gal polyethylene totes (lidded) that I bought at Menards (regional variant of Lowe's, Home Despot, etc.) for bottling. This allows me to easily perform the necessary operation of moving the bottles empty to the basement for filling and back upstairs for conditioning. The fact that they're lidded and stackable means they're easily stored when the beer is conditioning, and when empty. Each tote will hold 32 12 oz. 9 in. longnecks, and fewer (I think 20) pint flip-tops. These have the additional advantage of being easy to bottle, as I can set them on my basement floor, which is often wet during certain times of year. I think this shows how everyone's mileage may vary.

After conditioning, I just store the beer on shelves and in a filing cabinet in the basement in 6-pack carriers, and empties in the garage the same way. In any aspect of my brewing, I always strive for K.I.S.S. as a first principle.

Wish I needed bottles badly enough to drive up to the Map Room to cadge some....I miss that place.

Nice! I was thinking milk crate but I hesitated because they are not light-proof (I have absolutely NO area in my flat which is 100% dark, 100% of the time). Maybe I'll improvise and come up with some way to use milk crates but still block light.

Thanks!

Cardboard on the sides, or an old blanket over the whole pile.

Just ask liquor stores, bars, etc. They are usually glad to give away the cardboard boxes. For that matter, anytime you need something material wise it's always smart to ask any establishment that pertains to the subject...I needed wine bottles so I asked the place I go for wine tasting, the dude says sure and walks back out with 4 cases of empty wine bottles!

I got my hands on a box with handle holes on both ends from Panera Bread that holds 48 12 ouncers. Even the longer neck Paulaner's. & the box my cooper's micro brew kit came in (colored one) is just the right size to hold the 30 740ml PET bottles they give you with the kit. Very sturdy box,too. And the plain brown box that the coopers brew kit comes in (outer one) holds a couple of cases of empties. Used liquor cartons are good too,I use one (Malibu rum) that holds 20.
But,I have noticed that LHBS's have new boxes in case sizes for a couple of bucks. And their new bottles come in them with separators,for some $13.

You can store in milk crates, rubbermaid tubs, cases from stores, filing cabinets, empty paper boxes, and my personal favorite: steamer trunk. If light is a problem then you can cover it with newspaper, sheets, cardboard, etc.

Back